Tuesday 19 March 2013

RAW ALMOND MILK

One of my favourite bloggers is Sarah Britton - her blog is called My New Roots. Sarah is amazing person, great cook and holistic nutritionist. Is it not too much? Definitely not! She is one of people who should be your inspiration.

I was very curious what would be the taste of non dairy homemade milk. I had been buying soy, almond or hemp milk for years but I was sure that homemade one had to be different. And at the same time much healthier. 

First I made plain almond milk. It was delicious, a little frothy with delicate flavour. The second time, I added some maple syrup for more taste. You can also substitute maple syrup with dates, agave nectar or vanilla extract. So many choices!

And here you can watch 'My New Roots' video how to make nut milk.




RAW ALMOND MILK

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup almonds (or any other nuts)
  • 4 cups filtered water (I use 3 cups because I prefer more intensive flavour)
  • pinch of sea salt (optional)
  • 2 TBS maple syrup


METHOD:
  1. Soak almonds for 8 hours or overnight. 
  2. Drain, rinse and place in high speed blender. 
  3. Add water and male syrup.
  4. Press the button to start and blend until smooth. 
  5. Take a big bowl or jug, line with nut milk bag or cheesecloth.
  6. Pour the mixture from the blender and squeeze.
  7. Pour milk into a glass jar or bottle.

* You can keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. 

** Ground almonds (that what is left in nut milk bag) can be used for baking or you can add them when making pancakes, smoothies or use as garnish.



No comments:

Post a Comment